Friday, June 1, 2012

ATTEMPTING THE JACKET

THE JACKET

FINALLY!! I have actually finalised the pattern for the jacket that is to be made from veggie tan leather then moulded to the female form. I can't even remember how many jackets I have made to get the pattern correct, all I know is that there has just been too many. 

I'm so excited however to see how it turns out. Here are some Images of the jacket inside out, I've included some images of stuff ups so you can see where some of my mistakes have been like missing the seam when top stitching but that is just because I haven't allowed enough seam allowance. The jacket is actually so stiff that I can't turn it in the right way yet I have to wet the arms to then be able to pull them through without compromising the stitching, the last thing I want is for the stitching to begin to come apart.


FRONT


BACK

 SIDE SEAM

 GUSSET, UNDERARM 

 GUSSET, UNDERARM






FINALLY I DID IT


So it's happened I've been able to get the natural leather jacket made and to say the least I couldn't be happier. I love the smoothness of the seams and the flesh like quality the veggie tan possesses. The only problem that I faced is that after the jacket had been sewn it was incredibly stiff and the end seams near high stress areas like the underarm wear getting loose and the only way to turn the sleeves inside out was to wet the jacket first then attempt it, it WORKED. Here is a short film showing you part of the process. 


Videoing became quite a problematic method of documenting so for the rest of the moulding of the jacket I've just taken some photos of areas of the jacket and some up closeness showing off the fleshy texture of the jacket. 



And yes I do use good sacks to mould the leather, they are the best at creating a smooth and even wait that doesn't disturb the texture of the leather. and the boxes have come in handy for positioning the arms. 










This a funny little video I made to complete the final stages of the jacket coming off the mould. The jacket isn't as perfect as I could have hoped for but its still pretty good, and the awesome thing is, is that all I have to do to change the shape is to wet the areas that need changing and re-mould.

No comments:

Post a Comment