Saturday, June 2, 2012

NAKED BRUNCH

So as I casually walked into work the other day Nat asked me how I was feeling and what I'd been up too "WELL" i exclaimed "I just handed in my thesis proposal, thank GOD!". Of course this led onto me explaining what I was basing my thesis research on and out of the blue Nat tells me I should interview her. Little did I know I was working with the awesome performing artist Natalie Bak who was the creator of the "Nude Brunch" held at Bebida cafe during the 2009 Melbourne Fringe Festival. Now of course 2009 was my first year of uni and I had just moved to the city and had NO idea about anything and I'm not even over exaggerating this statement, this was when I was living in St Kilda which I took to be the coolest place in Melbourne, little did I know oh how little I knew. Well I've grown up quite a bit now and given the opportunity I would have loved to be part of this experience. Back to Nat.
I cant wait to interview her about the public response to her "Nude Brunch" concept which I think is an amazing social experiment that also offered something for the individual an opportunity to explore ones self. 

"It's all about celebrating collaboration and the human form but mostly it's about artists who are so willing to expose themselves - a literal tribute to that." Natalie Bak.

Basically the "Nude Brunch" was an event where you go and view performers whilst eating some delish food the only catch is, is that you as the audience are asked to leave you clothes at the door and most of the performers are naked or near naked.



Ive been reading a few articled from both Melbourne and Edinburgh about what Nat was doing, I say Edinburgh because she also took it to the Edinburgh film festival. It has seemed to be all very positive publicity but I feel a lot of people and article writers have been misleading in how they have written about the experience. An over sexualisation of ideas have been expressed especially in news article heading as if to just exploit the nude nature of the event as a way to get people to read the article by simply slipping "Sexy Experience" in or just "sexy" Into the headline and it is through this I found people leaving negative comments due to they misinterpretation and lack of appreciation due to their blatant ignorance, like these absolute DICKHEADS!! 

  • Pixie of Kingscliff NSW Posted at 9:34 AM October 07, 2009 
    See what I mean....you cant even have lunch without sex being involved....again, suffocating.....
  • Stephen Posted at 11:04 AM October 07, 2009
    We need to realise that we, as human beings, are not animals. We have souls and must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ to give an account of our deeds done in the body. These "artists" are not content with enjoying sin themselves but seem bent on further corrupting our society. Bestial, inhuman behaviour is sinful (Romans 13:13) and unless we repent of our sins we will perish eternally.

    evanrm Posted at 1:34 PM October 07, 2009
    Not everyone has a loose sense of modesty and dignity, even artists, it seems.
  • Matt R of Melbourne Posted at 1:40 PM October 07, 2009
    overeducated underachievers Another Bach of Art living of government grants (and trying to spend as LITTLE cash as possible, so they can pocket the rest)
  • HOW ABOUT YOU WATCH THIS AND SEE HOW YOU ARE ON A SLOW DECLINE



Heres a good one though your awesome Mark

Mark Vanselow of Melbourne Posted at 1:43 AM October 07, 2009
Congratulations, Natalie! You did an amazing job in organising this event and making it a memorable day! Kudos to all the artists involved and everyone who attended the event, as well as Bebida Cafe for hosting the function. Melbourne and other cities definitely need more gigs like this one. Hey, I hope you do this again next year! More people should get on board, shed their clothes for a couple of hours and really enjoy themselves; Natalie is a wonderful hostess and she really made certain every single person had a wonderful experience. I hope this goes to show that you don't need formal training in event management and marketing to put on a fun and vibrant do. You just need a novel idea, a little help from talented like-minded individuals, hard work and the courage to push the envelope. Natalie has a fabulous idea, and this is only the beginning. I hope the Melbourne Fringe Festival does something like this on a much bigger scale in 2010. Again, well done, Natalie! 

Comments were thanks to the article writen b

 
  • AAP 
  •  
  • October 07, 2009. For The Daily Telegraph

  • http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/nude-brunch-on-the-fringe/comments-e6frev20-1225783515250






    !! UPDATES COMING SOON !!
















    No comments:

    Post a Comment